Thursday, March 3, 2011

Charmed...I'm sure :)



Sewing has been a passion of mine since I was 8 years old. When my children were young, I made all their clothing. They can remember going to my favorite fabric warehouse and me picking them up and sitting them on top of a massive table covered in assorted loose buttons that had an edge all around it so that the buttons wouldn't fall on the ground. I'd give them one button that I wanted and send them out to search for more that matched :)  I thought I knew a lot about sewing. Not so much as it turns out. Quilting is like a whole other animal. (they even have their own language) I'll admit that I've had to google some of their terminology. I have always wanted to learn more about quilting. I mean who wouldn't want to get involved in a hobby that includes delicious fabric bundles called "layer cakes" and "jelly rolls". I know.......right? So I finally took the plunge into the world of quilting and bought my first ever "charm pack".  I also bought this super cute bag pattern to use my fabulous little pre-cut fabric squares! The hardest part so far has been deciding on which of these yummy squares should sit next to the other. I finally figured it out and so today I will sew it together. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have pictures of the finished bag and I'll let you know what I thought about the pattern.  I also finished another Apron Swap and I'm waiting for my partner to receive it before I post pictures of the  finished apron. Hopefully that will be tomorrow too!

7 comments:

  1. I love precut squares!! And you are right, I remember laying out a baby quilt and doing the same dang thing....move it here, then it doesn't go with that one, so move that one, Oh wait, move it back. LOL
    Have fun with that!! It'll be great no matter what!
    ANDDDDD the bag will be all squinched up so no worries!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know...I have been Googling the quilting stuff too! I know two wonderful young women that are pregnant and I am going to make a them both 'on the go' changing pads and it requires 'quilting' the fabric. I am really excited!

    I love your charm pack. Joann's has some nice ones too. I cannot wait to see the completed bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. here's a great forum on quilting. lots of info and people to help answer questions.
    http://www.quiltedparadise.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bag is so cute! question.....how do you get the squiggly lines in the fabric? do you just do freeform sewing? I can't wait to hear how the pattern worked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise, I'll be quilting it either with cross hatch or stitch in the ditch. I'm not going to ruin this bag with freeform. I'll need to practice that skill ALOT before I use it on something as cute as this fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. really people, don't be afraid of quilting!! And with free motion quilting you can just tell people you meant to do it that way...it's very ''in'' now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's funny - I just started quilting a few months ago, after sewing for YEARS. Made a quilt for a lady at work that is having her first baby. I free-form quilted the center and stitched-in-the-ditch for the squares along the edge. It was fun - especially the freeform - I just had to figure out the quirks of my 25-year-old machine.

    ReplyDelete